Friday, April 17, 2009

Barry Lyndon

I watched the Stanley Kubrick's film "Barry Lyndon" today. Netflix says "This gorgeously painted, slow-moving portrait of a young Irishman" which is a pretty good way of explaining it. It is a beautiful film to look at but you have to really spend time looking for subtext to really enjoy it.

It actually seems very close to elements of "2001:A Space Odyssey" in speed and visual stimulation.

One review put it interestingly. They said that it was a film that made the characters seem alien unlike many period films in which the characters have contemporary sensibilities.

I have to say, it felt a little like watching molasses run at times. But it was the end that surprised me. A sort of alienation, as though watching the family of the astronaut at the end of 2001:A Space Odyssey. And a revealing that all the work has been for...(I won't reveal it)...(yes I will)...for nothing.

I would recommend it unless you are a real film buff looking for a stoically faced Ryan O'Neal to pretend there is subtext to the look: I would call it a "blank canvas" look that the audience gets to paint on. A strength...maybe...maybe not.

It is available on Netflix instant, so you don't have to really pay for it.

No comments: